India Russia Defence Agreements and CAATSA – IAS Synopsis
What is CAATSA and why India is facing threat of sanctions?
- Stands for Countering America’s Adversary through Sanctions Act
- Legislation was for Russia, Iran and North Korea.
- Section 235 of the Act talks about 12 sanctions that can be imposed upon persons that engage with the defense and intelligence of Russia.
- Section 231, gives powers to the President to invoke 5 of these sanctions.
- However, India was granted a waiver under CAATSA and retained its strategic autonomy.
- Recent issue is due to the S-400 deal which has led to the debate.
GRAND OFFER –
To download all synopses for free, buy our annual membership product
(BEST VALUE OFFER – Download all synopses for free)
OR buy individual synopsis.
500 Synopses to be uploaded before May 2022
IASSynopsis.com – Best Site for Topic Wise UPSC Prelims & Mains Preparation.